Syaoran from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE
Character Name: Syaoran
Series: Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE
Specifics: chapter 100 splash page
Time: ~40 hours
Started: May 2007
Completed: May 2007
Debuted: Anime North 2007
Thanks to Elemental
for the photos!
My friend, Sakura, had been gushing about making Sakura's costume from the splash page for chapter 100 of Tsubasa manga since the chapter came out. I made the matching Syaoran costume because I wanted to match her, and because I liked the design.
All the white on this costume is Pasadena drapery lining, and the green is twill. The green wasn't my first choice, and is a little brighter than it should probably be, but I like it regardless.
For the main white shirt, I merged a shirt pattern with a tracing of my old martial arts uniform. I made the belts with some buckles I bought, and sewed them on. I added strips of green to the edges. Then I added velcro at certain points so I could get the top on and off. To finish off the main shirt, I measured out and poked holes near the sleeves, and added dark green cording.
Because of the way the belt buckle worked, the belt is actually two belts sewed over each other. It also attaches with velcro so the buckle is just for show. The flower on the belt was cut out of pink fabric that matches Sakura's costume. The flower was handsewed on. My friend Kira, who happened to be over when I was rushing to finish this costume, helped me with the hand-sewing so the costume would be finished on time. (ILU, Kira!)
I bought a pair of pleather pants, since pleather and my sewing machine don't get along. I made a pant leg out of white fabric and added snaps at the top to attach the extra pant leg to black pants.
The giant flower on the pant leg, and the rest of the flowers of the costume were designed on paper, traced onto heat-and-bold and cut out and hand-sewed on.
The armbands were straight-forward. I attached the flowers before I added the gold bias tape, made from the same gold fabric used on Sakura's costume. The little green arms bands were giant pieces of bias tape I made and sewed in a loop.
Because of the length and shape of the headband, it is made of five pieces of fabric. I was originally planning to sew the headband to the wig, but the headband was more stable when it was simply tied around my head.
The wig was borrowed from Becky and the boots are my own. And I think that's about it.
There are a few things that I don't like about this costume, but overall, I'm happy with it. :3
« Back to the Costume Gallery